Chronic dry eyes can be very distressing. Continuing discomfort is hard to live with day after day. Of course, not all sore eyes are caused by dryness.
If you have two or more of the symptoms listed below, everyday for more than a few weeks, you probably have chronic dry eyes.
- dry, gritty or scratchy eyes
- very watery eyes for no apparent reason
- burning or stinging eyes
- red eyes or red-rimmed eyelids
- blurred vision which clears (perhaps only briefly) when you blink
- eyelids stuck together when you wake up
- contact lenses which become uncomfortable after just short period of wear
- difficulty seeing a computer screen after long periods of time
- the need to blink frequently
Unfortunately, dry eyes tend to get worse over time and become more difficult to treat. So it’s best to seek help sooner rather than later.
What causes chronic dry eyes?
Most cases of chronic dry eyes are caused by Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Both the upper and lower eyelids have a row of meibomian glands (close to the eyelashes).
These glands produce oil which a very important part of the tears. In meibomian gland dysfunction, the oily secretions become thickened so very little is released into the tear film.
This leads to dryness, blurred vision, redness and that dry, gritty or scratchy feeling.
New treatment for chronic dry eyes
IPL for dry eyes is a wonderful new treatment for chronic dry eyes. This new technology flashes very bright light along the meibomian glands in the lower lids. The light and warmth generated by the light, stimulates the glands, restoring them to more normal levels of function.
IPL for dry eyes is painless, simple and effective, providing long term relief from the discomfort of dry eyes. Read more about it here.
Ring our Mentone office on (03) 9583 0855 for an appointment. Please mention that it is for a dry eyes consultation.